All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Last.fm - Introductory Post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:42 am 
Montster Fan

What's it all about?

About Last.fm
Last.fm is a free music recommendation service. You use Last.fm by joining up and downloading The Scrobbler (it's an app) which helps you discover more music based on the songs you play.

What’s Scrobbling?
A scrobble is a little note The Scrobbler sends to Last.fm to let them know what song you’re playing.
Scrobbling helps tell Last.fm and you what songs you play most often, which songs you like the most, how much you’ve played an artist over a certain amount of time, which of your friends have similar tastes… all kinds of stuff. By focusing on the music you already play Last.fm can help you discover more music.

What you get
Scrobbles mean that Last.fm can deliver personalised recommendations for every single Last.fm listener, every single day. They then compare what you play to the scrobbles of millions of listeners around the world, meaning your recommendations are the result of more than 43 billion scrobbles and counting.
There’s plenty more you can do with Last.fm too. By getting involved in the Last.fm community you can tag tracks, join discussions, learn what’s hot and find new ways of uncovering the secrets of your listening history.

(source About Last.fm )

Why bother?
There’s a whole community of music-lovers on Last.fm. You can do stuff like get personal recommendations for vids and songs/artists, tweet what you’re listening to/like, join communities, see what your listening habits are – who you like, who you listen to most, what your friends like to listen to, who you’re compatible with musically… I’ll leave you to discover that for yourself (or not!). Also, Last.fm is international (Pandora is currently US only and Spotify is only available in 8 countries), which gives Monte more exposure world-wide!

The focus of this guide is to help us do the stuff that supports Monte and increases his presence online.

Once you’ve joinedLast.fm & downloaded the Scrobbler, each track you play on your computer or mp3 player is collected in the Last.fm database & it gets added to all sorts of lists. People can search by popular artists, who’s being played right now, who was popular last week, similar artists etc. And if you tag your tracks (we'll explain this in a future task), they can search by a tag as well.

Last.fm publishes a list of the Top 40 scrobbled artists every year based purely on how many times the artist is played. They also publish a Top 1000 by tag, so that you can see who was popular in a particular genre.

Last.fm also gives artists their own profile page. Monte's page is here. You can see that along the left side of the column there are tabs for Biography, Pictures, Videos, Albums, Tracks, Events, News, Charts, Similar Artists, Tags, Listeners, Journal, and Groups. These are all in the form of a wiki and can be updated by any user at any time – so we can use them to promote Monte ourselves. Obviously there are guidelines and I’m not suggesting we take over the pages and do anything we like – but there are a couple of things we can do to add to what’s already there. For example:

• Upload your pictures of Monte
• Upload your concert videos for live tracks
• Make sure you tag the Monte tracks you have scrobbled, as well as Monte himself
• RSVP to say you are attending a concert “event”
• Join Monte-related groups.

Tasks
We’ll be posting tasks on a regular basis, so that you can get into Last.fm slowly. I’ll be online at various times to answer your questions in the forum discussions & to help you get around. Just so you know I'm Amanda (pomegranate02 on the forum) and I’m in Australia, so if I don’t answer straight away, I might be sleeping ☺. Feel free to help each other out & talk about stuff you discover as you go too.

Even if you’re already using Last.fm, please read all of “Set and forget”, as well as the section on “Tagging”. I’ve been on Last.fm for six years and I learnt some new things by writing this guide… We want every scrobble to count.

Ready? Check out the first task in this category & have fun :-)