All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Last.fm - Task One
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:43 am 
Montster Fan

Task One – "Set and forget”!

If you're already a member of Last.fm, then you can skip "Getting set up" and just do the "Set and forget" bit...

Getting set up
If you aren’t already on Last.fm, it’s easy.
a. Sign up (it’s free. Pick your username carefully though – you CANNOT change it once you’ve signed up.).
b. Download The Scrobbler (it's an app) (for mac, pc or linux)
c. Read and follow “Set and forget” below.

FAQ’S
• Scrobbling takes up really minimal bandwidth – for anyone on dialup, it won’t suck your bandwidth.
• You don’t have to be connected to the internet all the time. The scrobbler you downloaded onto your computer will keep count and upload to Last.fm when you connect. (When you reconnect you should be prompted to “scrobble” – just say yes!)

Set and forget

MAKE SURE YOUR ALBUMS/SONGS ARE LABELLED CORRECTLY
For increasing awareness of Monte on Last.fm, make sure whatever you play of his, has his name “Monte Pittman” (no “quotation” marks) as the Artist or Artist Name or whatever your music player names it.

You don’t have to change all the rips from live shows that you’ve labelled “hot new song!”, just make sure that Monte's official releases are labelled just how they were on the album.

Your work here is done! That’s it, seriously.

You can set this up, and contribute to Monte’s success just by playing his songs on your computer/mp3/iPod etc at home. (Or in the office – if work lets you, download the scrobbler onto your work computer…)

Optional programs that play well with Last.fm

If you like getting connected up on Social Media then here are some other programs…

Last.fm plays really well with other social/music sites.

If you're a Pandora user then LastPandora allows you to scrobble your tracks to Last.fm automatically while you're using Pandora. I don't (can't because I'm not in the US) use Pandora, so I can't give you any tips on it, but I understand that it's pretty simple & another 'set and forget' type of program.

If you are an iPhone/iPod users, there’s a free app called iScrob, which is available in the iTunes store. It ensures that your plays on either of those devices are counted. It collects the plays & scrobbles them when you sync them with your computer.

On twitter or facebook? Set up an automatic tweet/wall update with your top three artists for the week with Tweekly.fm. You can log in with your twitter account and/or your facebook account to set up a simple weekly tweet to tell everyone who you’ve been listening to.

All these programs are optional – just a bit more connectivity if you’d like to get everything linked up.

Post subject: Re: Last.fm - Task One
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:59 am 
Montster Fan

Signed up for Last.fm & now scrobble. DONE & playing the Deepest Dark album :) Off to bed before it's done - sorry Monte. Will pick it up again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:59 am 
Montster Fan

\0/ \0/ \0/

JPolitte wrote:
Signed up for Last.fm & now scrobble. DONE & playing the Deepest Dark album :) Off to bed before it's done - sorry Monte. Will pick it up again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:27 pm 

I've been using last.fm for several weeks now and my user name of lexiglam is already listed as a top listener of Monte's music! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 pm 
Montster Fan

Go you!!!!!

Raven Feathers wrote:
I've been using last.fm for several weeks now and my user name of lexiglam is already listed as a top listener of Monte's music! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:39 pm 
Montster Fan

Hi!

Some things Ive noticed with Last.fm in general:

You must have your scrobbler turned on for it to actually scrobble. Click it either in your dashboard (mac) or on your desktop (pc) to do this. This may seem like a duh, but it wasnt always this way, just with the recent update.

Last.fm will scrobble from your listening device as well, when you plug in to charge. Sometimes the scrobbler comes up and you are required to click scrobble, sometimes not.

Sometimes, the thing doesnt function the way its supposed to. The scrobbler wont always scrobble. Dont be alarmed, every time this has happened to me, it has always righted itself with the correct count, etc.

You can also "love" tracks by clicking the heart next to them. This helps Monte's ranks.

And just a general note: When I want to get counts up, I turn on Itunes and mute it when I leave for the day. :)

This is a fantastic mission, thanks for giving it to us!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:31 pm 
Montster Fan

Thanks for the tips Kirabella :-)

I hadn't realised that the new version needs to be turned on for it to work - definitely something to look out for, thank you!

I love your tip for turning on iTunes (or your music player) on mute & leaving it all day, I may have been known to do that once or twice...

Cheers
Amanda

Kirabella wrote:
Hi!

You must have your scrobbler turned on for it to actually scrobble. Click it either in your dashboard (mac) or on your desktop (pc) to do this. This may seem like a duh, but it wasnt always this way, just with the recent update.

Last.fm will scrobble from your listening device as well, when you plug in to charge. Sometimes the scrobbler comes up and you are required to click scrobble, sometimes not.

Sometimes, the thing doesnt function the way its supposed to. The scrobbler wont always scrobble. Dont be alarmed, every time this has happened to me, it has always righted itself with the correct count, etc.

You can also "love" tracks by clicking the heart next to them. This helps Monte's ranks.

And just a general note: When I want to get counts up, I turn on Itunes and mute it when I leave for the day. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:28 am 
Montster Fan

Welcome! xo

pomegranate02 wrote:
Thanks for the tips Kirabella :-)

I hadn't realised that the new version needs to be turned on for it to work - definitely something to look out for, thank you!

I love your tip for turning on iTunes (or your music player) on mute & leaving it all day, I may have been known to do that once or twice...

Cheers
Amanda

Kirabella wrote:
Hi!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:57 am 

what last.fm plugin version does it require to turn it on? I have no such issues with my iTunes+lastfm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:44 pm 

I signed up for last.fm and downloaded the iScrob app to my Ipod. Scrobbled "The Deepest Dark" during my lunch break.

Everything worked great! Very cool! 8-)